Girl Scout Insignia
The insignia on a girl's uniform are a record of her adventures and accomplishments as a Girl Scout. Insignia is the general term for all official items that girls and adults can wear on their uniforms. All official awards are worn on the front of the sash or vest.
Girl Scout insignia are broken into five categories here and in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting at each program level:
- Insignia Showing You Belong: These insignia include such items as Girl Scout membership pins, the World Trefoil pin, GSUSA and council identification strips, and troop numerals.
- Earned Grade-Level Awards: These Girl Scout program awards include Girl Scout Journey Awards from the three Leadership Journeys at each program level, Daisy Petals and Leaves, Girl Scout Brownie through Ambassador proficiency badges found in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting at each program level, and Girl Scouting's highest leadership awards (Girl Scout Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards).
- Special Opportunity Awards:These are national awards earned through requirements determined by Girl Scouts of the USA or by another organization with whom GSUSA has a partnership agreement. These awards include the Girl Scout My Promise, My Faith Awards, Girl Scout Cookie Sale Pins, Girl Scout Safety Awards, and the President's Award for Community Service.
- Meritorious Service Awards: These include the Girl Scout Lifesaving Awards awarded from GSUSA through council nomination.
- Participation Patches and Pins2: Supplementary insignia developed at the national or council level with a focus on participation. These are worn on the back of the badge sash or vest or Daisy tunic.
Each page below contains a list of age-appropriate insignia, as well as charts that can be downloaded to show where to place the insignia. Note that there are charts that show new insignia placement as well as charts that show where to place insignia in transition between old and the new.
Where to Place Insignia on a Uniform
Girl Scout awards, badges, patches, and other insignia should be presented, worn, or displayed only after Girl Scouts have completed the requirements outlined in the appropriate program materials.
Awards Found Online
Requirements for several awards and patches are found online, including those that do not appear in printed program publications, insignia that get updated regularly, and special featured insignia.